Christian Music’s Impact On The Forever Learning Believer

                                    


My favorite new music artist who’s songs are deep on a theological standpoint, and have impacted me greatly, also has let me down big time. Ever since Lauren Daigle came out with some contradicting responses to homosexuality, its been extremely hard for me to understand how someone who’s music is so good and the words are just right, can say so little on something that the bible says is wrong. Now I don’t want to throw shade because it is our job as Christians to love and try to understand where someone is coming from, and then help them where they are wrong. I’ve been thinking very long and hard about how I was going to write this in a way that would seem loving and supporting, but yet sharing my opinion backed by the bible on this matter.

Lauren Daigle was recently asked on a radio program about her belief on homosexuality and her response or lack thereof was pretty shocking to me. She replied, “That she wasn’t sure, and that she couldn’t honestly answer the question.” She then stated, “In a sense, I have too many people that I love that are homosexual. I don’t know. I actually had a conversation with someone last night about it. I can’t say one way or the other. I’m not God.”

My first response was how do you not know the answer to that question? How are your songs so deep in thought and biblical, yet you can’t answer a question that the bible is clearly against and says is wrong? In the bible Genesis 1:27-28 says, “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” So to believe in God is to believe in His word which he wrote, that He created the heavens and the earth which was prefect in the beginning, and because we all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, He sent His perfect son to die for our sins so that we may eternal life with Him in heaven. As a believer how can you believe in God, say you’re a Christian, have songs that proclaim the gospel and the new life and change that you have been given through faith, and not know how you believe on homosexuality? I am just baffled by this and at first it made me very angry with her.

When to give grace and mercy in times like these?

I have to understand that I can’t judge her and that maybe she is still learning just like I am. Some things in my life are easier to understand because I use common sense. I am not on a deeper level in my relationship with my Savior, and I have to then use that to be more understanding of her situation. As believers everyone doesn’t agree on everything worldly or everything theological for that matter, and that’s been proven throughout my entire life. We as humans will never see eye to eye on the most controversial things for so many reasons.

Her other reasoning for not really taking a stance on this issue is because she has friends who are homosexuals and therefore wants to keep the friendships that she has with those people, and I don’t fault her for that. Just because someone isn’t straight doesn’t mean that they are terrible people, and that gives us an excuse to treat them as less than human. All people were created by God, and all bad will be used for the glory of God someway in the end. That’s what we have to keep in mind.

So am I upset that she came out not fully against it, and not fully for it? Yes, I am. But I have now come to an understanding that she is still a sinner saved by grace, and is still learning about what God has to say. I am still learning, as well, the difference is her life is in the spotlight being picked through with a fine toothed comb and I am in the shadows. How we handle extreme pressure on something that the world is bound to try and make us believe in, will also trigger us to not say anything so we don’t offend both parties. By not actively saying she’s against it, her homosexual friends won’t be as mad, but the Christians that she’s currently witnessing too through her music are appalled by the lack of words she used.

I will continue to pray for her and that through her music she will be teaching the truth about the gospel and not being a false witness by accident. More importantly I need to make sure that I am constantly working on my relationship with Christ and trying to learn more about Him and His word. By sharing my opinion on the matter I also hope that you can take away from this, how we need to help and pray for other believers who’s lives are in the spotlight. Making sure that their testimonies on stage are in true reflection of who Christ is and what His word stands for is really important. To God be the glory in all things good and bad.


I truly hope this was a good read. Thank you for your time and your feedback is greatly appreciated.








Comments